— — —
The author, Ravi Iyer, is a data scientist with a PhD in social psychology, and an active moral psychology researcher at the University of Southern California. He is also connected with YourMorals.org (where people can learn about moral psychology).
Here he gives some of his research finding and links.
— — —
What are the psychological differences that make people liberal democrats, conservative republicans, or libertarians?
Data Science applied to Values, Morals, Politics, & things that matter.
While I am definitely prototypically liberal, I know a lot of good solid people who happen to be conservative. I also live in a state (California), where some of the excesses of liberalism are self-evident. There is merit to traditionally conservative principles like respect for tradition and desire to reward those who work hard over those who don’t…just as there is merit in traditionally liberal ideas like having empathy for those who are unlucky. There is merit in the libertarian viewpoint as well. However, when these principles conflict, individuals make consistent choices as to what kinds of resolutions they generally prefer…to reward productivity, to take care of the less fortunate, or to refrain from interfering. It is this consistency which makes people liberal, conservative, or libertarian, and there are psychological variables which differ reliably among these groups, leading to these consistencies. Below are posts which relate to these differences:
- How Coherence Defines Conservatism
- Liberals vs. Conservatives:innocent until proven guilty?
- Relative vs. Absolute Good Choices for Liberals, Conservatives, and Libertarians
- Liberals place more value on being funny than conservatives and libertarians.
- Why should the US lead in Libya? Liberal-Conservative Value Differences.
- Perceptions of Scarcity & Responsibility inform Budget Negotiations
- Are liberals more neurotic than conservatives?
- Tony Hsieh, liberals, and libertarians prefer buying experiences to materialism – A Review of Delivering Happiness
- The Definition of Moral Hazard and A Review of The Big Short
- Does conflict avoidance underlie disproportionate liberal support of civility?
- Why is Warren Buffett liberal on the estate tax? A Review of The Snowball.
- Differences between white male liberals and white male conservatives
- What is fair for migrant workers? – Stephen Colbert’s testimony to congress
- Why do we study the psychology of libertarians?
- The Present Hedonism Time Perspective of Motley Crue Members, Liberals, and Libertarians
- Appreciating American Libertarians – Insight from Ted Conover’s Book, Rolling Nowhere
- What is more Immorral? Distracted Driving or Smoking Marijuana?
- Democrats and Republicans agree that Justice & Fairness are about Equity, not Equality or Impartiality
- A Difference Between Democrats and Republicans – The Effects of Empathy on Political Interest
- What are the psychological differences that make people liberal democrats, conservative republicans, or libertarians?
- Nation has arrived at a new ‘libertarian moment,’ experts say (kansascity.com)
- Libertarian (chameleongirl1.wordpress.com)
- ‘Trust Us’ Pelosi Discovers She’s Not Being Trusted with NSA Info (txwclp.org)
- Libertarian populism isn’t a governing ideology – it’s a swindle (salon.com)
- Scottie Hughes at Townhall.com Misframes the Libertarian Movement (libertycrier.com)
- Libertarian Populism: A rising force in American politics (useofknowledge.wordpress.com)
- Why Libertarian? (otterlimits.wordpress.com)
- Biggest Myth About Libertarians (2016elephantrace.wordpress.com)
- In A Foreign Policy Debate, Where Is The Libertarian Credibility? (thesterlingroad.com)